Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

Hope everyone had a nice holiday with friends and family. I finished reading Sutton by J.R. Moehringer. I was captivated by this book. Moehringer blended historical facts with his imagination to produce an entertaining and well told story. Anyone who appreciates a well written book, loves New York, and has an interest in twentieth century stories, is likely to enjoy this novel.
I have started reading The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life - and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey'...more

I chose this book because it had great reviews. Although beautifully written it is a little too flowery for me. I can understand Lennie's actions and I like her memories of her sister and the closeness between them, and her hippie Grandma, but still, I can't connect with Lennie, which makes reading this book difficult. I'm anxious to finish it and move on to something else.

1 comment:

Marge said...

Hi Claudia,
Happy New Year to you and Tony. I love your book reviews. Sutton is going on my "next" list thanks to your review.

Hope Tony is feeling better. Hugz!