Thursday, November 29, 2012

I finally finished The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowlings.

It took me a little while to warm up to Pagford and its citizens, but once I did, I didn't want to stop reading. It started slow for me, it was hard at first to remember who was married to who but once more details about the characters were given, I got interested in the story. There is much sadness and showing of the dark side of life, at times it was a bit disturbing. I wouldn’t recommend it to someone looking for a light and easy read that will leave them in a good mood.

I have started reading A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay.

This stunning new novel from Tatiana de Rosnay, author of the acclaimed New York Times bestseller Sarah’s Key, plumbs the depths of complex family relationships and the power of a past secret to change everything in the present.

It all began with a simple seaside vacation, a brother and sister recapturing their childhood. Antoine Rey thought he had the perfect surprise for...more

I chose this book because I read Sarah's Key and loved it. Originally I planned to read Emily Giffin's "Something Borrowed" but "A Secret Kept" was in my Iphone and I needed something to read while I was on the bus.

Today I highlighted my hair. I had the impulsive urge to get my hair highlighted, but didn't feel right shelling out the cash to get it done professionally. I got a Revlon Frost and Glow highlighting kit for medium to dark brown hair.

You can buy the kit at any drugstore I got mine on sale at Shopper's Drug Mart for $9.99. I've seen it online at Target for $5.99. It comes with Simple and easy to do, but it is best you have someone with you to help you out, specifically with the back parts. Lucky for me I had my obliging husband to help me out.

I was a little concerned when I removed the plastic cap that you put over your head after you apply the solution, my hair turned orange first, then yellow - I didn't panic, I remembered what I had read, this is normal and it is your color lifting. It will then turn blonde. Indeed it did turn blonde and I am happy with the results.

The only thing is that the blonde highlights that I had turned blonder. The instructions advise you to not pull previously highlighted strands through the holes. This is easier said than done as you cannot see your hair through the cap that you use to pull the hair strands thru. This will be fixed the next time I do my roots.

I took a picture but the lighting is not very good, you will just have to believe me when I say it didn't turn out bad and I would definitely do it again. Oh yes one more thing I left the solution on for 35 minutes, this was the perfect amount of time for my hair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Friday Claudia;

J.K. Rawling's book doesn't sound like my kind of reading at all. :-) I'll stick to murder mysteries.
I think your hair color came out great! Today I go shopping and I also planned on coloring my hair this weekend. I haven't done so in awhile and I always feel uplifted after I do.
Have a great day and weekend my friend. Hugs

Marge said...

Hi Claudia, I've gotten side tracked from reading thanks to this new toy of mine. Aggravation! in big doses. hehe! Never again.

You are so brave to do your own hair. I tried once to do a home perm and I'll never try that again.

The weather is gorgeous. Hope you can make it down soon. Hugz!